The first episode of the Chanting Conquest podcast is available HERE
I thought I'd write a quick follow up to explain some of the "grading" system I've been looking at for characters. As mentioned in the cast I look at Supremacy, Special Rules, Personal Output, and Warband. When I was looking at this I decided to give each character a score out of 5 in these areas for a potential of 20 points.
The Thunder Chieftain ended up with 19. I only gave him 4 in personal output because while he can get a lot of attacks and has a solid Cleave 2 he lacks is any sort of ranged output so I dinged him a little bit for not being able to consistently do damage over the course of the game the way a ranged character can.
The score card for the Thunder Chieftain looked like this:
I do have all the other characters graded and am looking to do an episode on each one. Maybe I'll actually write some notes or something beforehand so I'm not just rambling. I can assure you there will be some hot takes on my grades for the rest of the characters.
I don't actually consider all of these areas equal. For example I put a lot more emphasis on Warband that anything else. The regiments you bring are going to be the biggest factor in the functionality of your list so they really should be the first thing you look at. After that it's probably global special rules/supremacy. Anything that can effect multiple regiments or general game flow is very powerful. Examples would be things like getting Shock from the Chieftain supremacy on your whole army while he is on the table or Crescendo from the Scion enabling additional chants.
The other thing I want to touch on briefly as a follow up to that cast is the idea of primary and secondary characters in list building. I look at the characters with the better warband options as primary characters. Those warbands are where you are likely to spend the majority of your points and secondary characters are likely to just have a couple of regiments with them. The Thunder Chieftain is an obvious candidate for a primary character as it brings an excellent signature mainstay in Thunder Riders and a few very nice choices for Restricted slots.
I'm not sure what the podcast special will end up looking like but I'd like to do at least one a month as long as I have ideas. As always thanks for reading
-K
No comments:
Post a Comment