Alright time to do a recap of episode 2 which is available HERE
I mentioned that I didn't weight the categories at all during the episode and I think that it is important to look at where value comes from in characters. Even through I think the Queen's supremacy is basically bad at this point I'm not sure how much that matters to her overall quality because we do have good supremacies available on characters you want to take. The real drawback to the Queen currently for me is in her Warband.
The biggest issues are her signature mainstay, Warbred, have aged a bit poorly and aren't nearly the menace of new elite cost brutes AND she can't join them. This forces you to either take another basic mainstay for her or spend resources to put her into one of her restricted of which the only ones she can actually join are Raptors, for the upcharge of a 45 point artifact, or the Apex Predator which takes both her mastery and is another regiment I feel has aged a bit poorly.
Realistically her 3 best regiments are Tontorr, Drum Beast, and Raptors. All of these are restricted and none are particularly easy to get her into. I do like that she has a couple of light regiments available to her. At the moment she can join them and give you an early scoring option. I think that can be very helpful with some lists but also isn't by any means mandatory. I do question whether or not characters keeping their own classification is actually a good rule in general. I'd almost rather see them just count as whatever the regiment is much like auxiliary rules do in City States
My thoughts on the queen are that she isn't unplayable trash by any means but I'd only run her in a competitive oriented list if I had a very specific plan and at this point I think that would fairly limited to take a big brick of braves (or blooded) as a mainstay and then take a Tontorr. The big brick gives that style of list a durable medium unit to smooth out scenario play a little bit. For me she is decidedly a secondary character.
Thanks for listening to the ramble and reading the review I hope you enjoyed it. There is a special Halloween episode coming.
-K
The podcast on the Thunder Chieftain was amazing hopefully you make some more. Also what are your ideas on the Predator, my favorite character.
ReplyDeleteJust finished the infantry Chieftain and no the sculp was actually a let down not bad but not great hopefully we get a Chief mommy version.
ReplyDelete